Albert Einstein said “If you do what you always did, you will get what you always got.”
Do you have any changes planned for the New Year? How would you like to retire this year?
Changes for the better always start with a dream! Do you have a dream for this year? What would you do if you won the lottery? As crazy as it may seem, that is a good place to start.
Don’t win the big one, just win a $2,000,000 dollar jackpot. Now, what would you do with $2,000,000 dollars? That’s the dream! The next step is Plan “B”. Your chance of winning the lottery is one in one hundred seventy five million. With such lousy odds I think your focus should be on plan “B”.
What is plan “B”? Plan “B” is your realistic plan of earning more than you spend for as long as it takes to save the $2,000,000 dollars. Some statistics say more than half of us spend more than we earn for one or more of the following reasons:
- Keeping up with the Jones’
- Avoiding the truth – not keeping tabs on your spending
- Counting the chickens before they hatch – spending before we get an expected raise or bonus
- Plastic doesn’t feel like money – it’s just too easy to use the card
- Instant gratification – I want it now syndrome
- Lifestyle maintenance – It is difficult to cut back on what has become “necessities”
- Poor background – trying to make up for being raised poor
- Prove your self-worth – buying the fancy new car for prestige when the old one is running fine
- Sense of power – spending money makes you feel powerful or important
- Can’t say no – lack of discipline is probably the number one killer.
I read an article this week about a guy who managed to retire at age thirty. Most of it was frugal living – he managed to live on $25,000 per year. The combination of investments and lifestyle allowed him to “retire”.
If winning the lottery is part of your retirement plan, I suggest working on plan “B”. You need two things. One, a modified lifestyle that costs less than you are currently earning. And two, you need to earn more money. Call me if you would like information on how I can help you earn more money.
WL Laney, 303-217-8660 Ext. 3. May you enjoy a very happy and prosperous New Year. Make 2015 the year you change what you do and enjoy the blessings you desire!